A number of years ago I used to work on a phone system called the VS1. While the brand is currently “Telecor”, it has gone through several name changes over the years, starting off as the Dash Open Phone System (OPS) and then the Picazo VS1, with the internals staying pretty much the same.
Interestingly, the underlying operating system of the VS1 is DOS based! (DR-DOS to be specific), so I knew my way around it immediately, having grown up with MS-DOS. The form-factor is a PC mini-tower with built-in tiny monochrome monitor (if you are lucky!) and specialized ISA hardware cards. It also has an ISA modem and some rickety Windows software to go along with it which allows programming via a basic GUI.
Over the years I have had clients in 3 states and have setup about a dozen T1 lines and countless POTS lines, hundreds of display phone extensions and also my share of modems, network cards, etc.
During that time I came across a number of interesting scenarios while troubleshooting units that were misbehaving, repairing equipment I bought off Ebay, or setting up some interesting configuration for a client. If I get some time maybe I will post some stories or tech fixes and provide some solutions to those of you who still run a VS1 phone system (I know you’re out there!). Feel free to bookmark my site as a reference should you need the advice of someone who has built these systems from the ground up. My rates are reasonable, I assure you.
If you wish to view all the posts I have made on this subject, simply click HERE.