When I took over this post, I didn’t realize that the old IT guy registered the company website in his name. This became a problem when the registration expired finally. I wasn’t able to get a hold of this guy and had no reasonable expectation that he had maintained the Earthlink address he used with the registration after 10 years.
Little did I know that getting Network Solutions to change the primary contact on an account requires an act of God. You have to submit a “Primary Contact Change Form” to the company and include a photocopy of your driver’s license as well as additional company information.
They removed his name, but never removed the original “underlying registry data” email address. Interesting.
Since it’s not affecting anything I’ll leave it alone as it’s not worth the hassle of contacting NS again.