18 Comments

1. A random IT guy says:

November 15, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Just a comment to thank you for taking the time to post this. I had a user who came across this and with your advice was able walk him through Control-Panel and removing Viewpoint.

2. MRP says:

November 30, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Same Here, Thanks… saved allot of time, by finding this post, rather than thinking machine was infected with something.

3. says:

December 1, 2010 at 8:13 am

Same thing happened to me — thanks — it was a little bit of a scare. Any idea who tricked me into installing viewpoint? I would like to send them a nasty note

4. Ben says:

December 4, 2010 at 10:36 am

I had the same thing, but no “no thanks” button. Mine says “Note: NO system restart” and “By clicking “update” you are agreeing to the terms of service and privacy policy. kikin powered by Google will become your default search provider.” Don’t know how viewpoint got on my computer, but it’s coming off today. Any company that uses predatory sign up methods like this should be banned from the net.

5. Frank says:

January 3, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Another note of thanks. Yours is the one answer that came up when I typed “Kikin powered by Google” into my search engine, which, coincidentally, is Google.

6. Robert says:

January 7, 2011 at 8:19 am

The newest Kinkin popup does not offer a “no thanks” option. But I still uninstalled Viewpoint!

I suspect Kinkin is associated with Kindle for PC? That is the only thing I have installed recently (earlier today).

7. Jake says:

March 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I dont have veiwpoint but every website I go to get replaced by kikin i am surprised that i was alowed on this site without that stupid kikin poppin up and replacing the page

8. says:

March 18, 2011 at 7:59 am

We here at kikin would like to apologize for this inconvenience and misunderstanding. We were unaware of this problem and we have since discontinued working with distributors using these pop-ups.

@Robert, we are unaffiliated with Kindle for PC and I’m glad you found a solution to this problem.

If you have any further problems, please feel free to let us know at info@kikin.com.

9. Mitch says:

March 28, 2011 at 11:05 am

Well I for one am glad that after 4 months, you’ve decided to discontinue working with distributors using pop-ups. Sarcasm aside, people should know that Kikin tracks your web searches, sends URL info to its servers and stores preferences locally so that it can deliver “relevant content” to the end user. It integrates with social media ( +1 ), but the way they make money is through revenue sharing with content partners (sponsored results I assume ( – 5 ). Good luck Kikin. Google started mixing social media results at the end of Feb and I’m sure they’re tuning the machines daily. Jus sayin’
    (I predict that Kikin sells itself to a bigger fish this year. No doubt the consumer data they have gathered thus far is of some value to someone somewhere)

10. says:

January 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I also have Kikin all of a sudden on my browser. When I go into “Add and Remove programs” there is no “Viewpoint listed.” Any idea how I can get rid of this annoying and pesky thing?

11. Mitch says:

January 13, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Viewpoint doesn’t have to be present in order for Kikin to install or try to install itself…that’s just one vector to be aware of (especially if you have the popup I described). If it’s already on your system, just uninstall via Add/Remove Programs and tell the family not to install it again! Now would also be a good time to do a scan for other malware using a program like MalwareBytes (see my Tools section).

12. James Weed says:

October 16, 2012 at 3:13 am

This program really messes up Microsoft office, and it is very hard to figure it out. I had over 40 hours of tech time on my computer, trying to figure out what was slowing down Word and PowerPoint, and they could not figure it out. I finally deleted this file not knowing what it was and it fixed all problems.